The speed issue is not due to SQL Server or DTS. It is within the Oracle connection libraries. In order for DTS to move data directly, it must transit multiple connection libraries and data format protocols. You can avoid that be taking a page from the systems book from 20+ years ago. Export your table to a text format that can be understood by Oracle, transfer the files to your Oracle system, and then use SQL Loader on your Oracle system to import the text files.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.