I require to design the ERD diagram for a relational database in SQL Server. This database is being developed for a Web search engine. I would like to know which is the best approach to follow for designing the ERD. By approach, I mean:
Secondly I would like to know what is the best tool to design the ERDs. A few that I know are:
Which approach? All of them and none of them. I design databases by putting the data where it belongs. That's it. I don't use any specific "method". I figure out what the business rules are and come up with structures to store them, in other words, I stick the data where it makes sense. I use ER/Studio for database design. But, that is my preference.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.