The problem may be all the necessary transaction logs were not restored. When restoring transaction logs, all logs between the last full back up or differential need to be restored in sequential order.
The process for doing a restore is:
- Apply a full database back up using the "WITH NORECOVERY" option.
- Apply the differential back up that is closest without going over the date and time to which the database should be restored; again use the "WITH NORECOVERY" option.
- Apply every transaction log back up taken between the differential applied in Step 2 and the date and time to which the database should be restored. Use the "WITH NORECOVERY" option on every transaction log back up except the last.
- Apply the last transaction log using the "WITH RECOVERY" option.
Using the schedule supplied in the question (making the assumption the full back up happens on Sunday and the differentials occur each day at 4:00 PM); to restore the database to Thursday at 12:15 PM on Friday:
- Apply the most recent weekly backup using the "WITH NORECOVERY" option.
- Apply the differential backup from Wednesday at 4:00 PM using the "WITH NORECOVERY" option.
- Apply every transaction log between Wednesday at 4:00 PM and Thursday at 12:00 PM, again use the "WITH NORECOVERY" option.
- Apply the last transaction log up to 12:15 using the "WITH RECOVERY" option.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.