Oracle's Full Text search is a third party application that is plugged into Oracle and is priced separately from the Oracle server. The full text search that ships with SQL Server at no added cost has all of the base functions necessary to accomplish text searching capabilities. For something more detailed, you would have to refer to the documentation for both to determine the differences in features, functionality, and implementation. The pricing has no comparison because Full Text search costs you nothing as it is included with the product, whereas you have to purchase Full Text as an add-on for Oracle.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.