My personal view is the Database Maintenance Plan wizard is an easy way of performing common mainstream administration. Full and transaction log backups are mainstream. Differential backups are important, but the requirement for this type of backup is much less common.
Your options are to create the backup command either manually (BACKUP DATABASE ... WITH DIFFERENTIAL) or through the SQL Server Backup Dialog (right click a database, All Tasks -> Backup Database) and schedule backup command using the SQL Agent. However you are right, you will have to do the file management yourself.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Tony Bain are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on SQL Server Backup and Recovery
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.