Some problems just keep coming up time and again for administrators. They are so frequently encountered that you...
could create a course on how to work around them. Sean Cambell at Aris Corporation has done just that, and Microsoft is currently featuring his suggestions on its Web site.
The 10 support issues highlighted are:
- Problems performing an unattended installation
- Setting DTS Package permissions
- Replication, in particular FTP replication
- Database issues such as torn pages, database and log Shrinkage
- Troubleshooting the SQL Server services
- Getting stats to update properly
- How to use cursors correctly
- How to do deferred updates
- How to recompile stored procedures without error
- Renaming a SQL Server
In this presentation each of these issues is described, along with both its root cause and some suggestions on how to remediate the problem. You can view this course as a streaming presentation or download the slides as a PowerPoint presentation by going to Microsoft's Web site. The streaming audio presentation is preferred because it contains Sean's commentary.
Each of these issues comes up so often that you'll find explanations of every single one on Web sites devoted to SQL Server, and many are the subject of Knowledge Base articles on Microsoft's Web site. Although this presentation was given in a late SQL Server 7 time frame, these issues are still ones that apply to newer versions.
Barrie Sosinsky is president of consulting company Sosinsky and Associates (Medfield MA). He has written extensively on a variety of computer topics. His company specializes in custom software (database and Web related), training and technical documentation.