Here's a simple script that can be customized to quickly grant permissions to various users on all tables or stored...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
procedures. Using this script I was able to reduce the time taken to grant permissions during installation from 30 minutes to 1 second! It is much faster than manually checking boxes next to each table using the Manage Permissions GUI provided in SQL Server. It has been tested on SQL Server 2000.
In this example, I have two users:
- test_user has all permissions on all tables
- test_reader has only read permission on all tables
Here is the script:
create proc pr_GrantPermissions as -- script to grant permissions on all user defined tables and -- stored procedures to test_user and test_reader -- grant all on all tables to test_user print 'Granting table Permissions ...' DECLARE tnames_cursor CURSOR FOR SELECT name from sysobjects where xtype='U' OPEN tnames_cursor DECLARE @tablename sysname FETCH NEXT FROM tnames_cursor INTO @tablename WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS <> -1) BEGIN IF (@@FETCH_STATUS <> -2) BEGIN SELECT @tablename = RTRIM(@tablename) EXEC ('GRANT ALL ON ' + @tablename + ' TO test_User') EXEC ('GRANT SELECT ON ' + @tablename + ' TO test_Reader') END FETCH NEXT FROM tnames_cursor INTO @tablename END CLOSE tnames_cursor DEALLOCATE tnames_cursor print 'Granting procedure Permissions ...' -- grant exec on all procedures to test_user and test_reader DECLARE proc_names_cursor CURSOR FOR SELECT name from sysobjects where xtype='P' OPEN proc_names_cursor DECLARE @procname sysname FETCH NEXT FROM proc_names_cursor INTO @procname WHILE (@@FETCH_STATUS <> -1) BEGIN IF (@@FETCH_STATUS <> -2) BEGIN SELECT @procname = RTRIM(@procname) EXEC ('GRANT ALL ON ' + @procname + ' TO test_User, Test_Reader ') END FETCH NEXT FROM proc_names_cursor INTO @procname END CLOSE proc_names_cursor DEALLOCATE proc_names_cursor print '*********************************************' print 'All permissions granted'
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free SQL Server tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical SQL Server questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: SQL Server tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.