In this podcast, you'll grasp the functionality of replication and what it can do for your SQL Server environment. SQL Server database administrator Eric Johnson starts by explaining the three replication types: snapshot, transactional and merge. He then takes you through setting up replication for high availability and outlines how to failover a replication solution.
- Download the podcast: SQL Server replication
- Total run time: 10:32
- (0.57) What is replication, describe the three types?
- (2.56) How can replication be used for High Availability?
- (5.27) Beyond replication, what must you consider when setting up High Availability?
- (7.52) How do you failover a replication solution?
Related tips and guides:
- Replication techniques in SQL Server: This collection of expert advice will guide you on how to enhance your techniques when replicating your SQL Server database(s).
- Optimize merge replication performance: Improve merge replication performance with the methods explained here and have that highly scalable SQL Server environment.
- Replicated stored procedure options with SQL Server 2005: Replicating stored procedures between SQL Server environments is a process for which you have many technologies to choose from. Get to know your options in this tip.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Eric Johnson (MCSE, MCITP: Database Administrator, MCSD) is co-founder of Consortio Services and the primary Database Technologies Consultant. He has delivered numerous SQL Server training classes and webcasts as well as presentations at national technology conferences. Eric has presented at TechMentor on SQL Server 2005 Replication, Reporting Services, and Integration Services. He is president of the Colorado Springs SQL Server Users Group.