To migrate data from a SQL Server database to a DB2 database, I would recommend using a free tool that ships with SQL Server 2000 named Data Transformation Services (DTS). I would recommend reviewing the following URLs for valuable information to address your needs:
- DTS overview (February 2004 response)
- Performance tuning tips for SQL Server DTS
- SQL Server Data Transformation Services (DTS) best practices
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Greg Robidoux and Jeremy Kadlec are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in June 2004