- SQL Server 2005 on a Member Server (2003)
- I'm running Visual Studio .NET 2005 on my work station.
- I can access the SQL Server data from within my .NET project.
- If I access the website from outside my .NET project, I get Login Failed for user NT_AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE.
This happens on any PC and even the member server that houses SQL and the Intranet site IIS.
- The reason I think I have a permissions problem is because of the behavior of two seperate test projects. Project #1 uses PROFILES to save state. When the program gets to this line of code, the Login Failed message appears. In project #2, I'm not saving state.But when the code attempts to gather data into a dataset, the program halts with the Login Failed message.
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Can you give me specific instructions on where to look and what to try?
If everything works fine, then it is definitely an authentication issue. Now, go back to anonymous access and start adding permissions to the IUSR_SERVER account to see if you can get the application to write properly. I would also suggest (if possible) downloading the excellent FileMon tool from SysInternals and see which read/write accesses are being denied. That will help you hunt down the issue.
Dig Deeper on SQL Server Security
Related Q&A from Steven Andres
Learn how to set a SQL Server password to an SA login and why you can not set this account for access to separate SQL Server databases.continue reading
Find how to create a SQL Server 2000 login account and then set user account rights to specific databases with "db_owner."continue reading
Learn how to create a SQL Server user authentication schema having password and tracked data changes requirements and how it involves Windows ...continue reading
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.