That is not correct for SQL Server 2000. Look up DBCC SHRINKFILE in Books Online.
As for resetting, you have something else going on. SQL Server doesn't magically change settings. You have to have something else doing so.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.