You are dealing with confidential patient data. You are also dealing with the necessity to secure your data and...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
provide tiered access to that data. I would not under ANY circumstances place anything but publicly accessible data into MySQL. I'm sure one of your patients would not be happy if your Web site were hacked, and confidential information was stolen from your database. If someone is recommending using MySQL for something this critical to your business, I certainly hope you find someone else to work with for every aspect of IT related to your business.
Your options for the backend of a Web site with such sensitive data would be Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, Oracle or DB2. If I were ever working with a medical firm or any other business for that matter that held my confidential data in their databases, and I found out they were using MySQL for storage, I would find another business to work with and would immediately launch an investigation into how my confidential data was handled and secured.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.