- Your brain
- Management approval
As far as tools which can help, I like the suite of tools from Embarcadero Technologies. DBArtisan is your management platform and within the same console, you can manage SQL Servers as well as DB2 servers. It even has the ability to migrate objects/data from DB2 to SQL Server providing all of the common datatype and language translations along the way. ER/Studio is your modeling tool and provides the ability to extract the structure of your DB2 database, translate it to a SQL Server model, and then rearchitect the model is necessary. You can also move the schema and data from DB2 to SQL Server using DTS within SQL Server.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in October 2003