If I use Merge Replication in SQL Server, which "Data Types" will be synchronizing? Is it possible to synchronize...
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
"Text" Data Type if I use Merge Replication?
Merge replication supports the replication of text and image columns only if they have explicitly been updated by an UPDATE statement. Using the WRITETEXT and UPDATETEXT operations alone will not propagate the change to other sites. If your application uses WRITETEXT and UPDATETEXT to update the text columns, then explicitly add an "UPDATE statement" after the text operations, within the same transaction, to guarantee that the change will be propagated to other sites.
For example, updating the review column of the employees table:
BEGIN TRAN DECLARE @mytextptr varbinary(16) SELECT @mytextptr = TEXTPTR(review) FROM employees WHERE emp_id = '444-55-6666' IF @mytextptr IS NOT NULL UPDATETEXT employees.review @mytextptr 0 NULL 'Terrific job this review period ....' -- Use of Update to ensure that the text gets propagated to other Subscribers UPDATE employees SET review = review WHERE emp_id = '444-55-6666' COMMIT TRAN
I hope this example works well for you.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL Server gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.