I'd like to create a database in SQL Server by exporting a DDL from ERWin. This is more of a forward engineering. Is it feasable? Thanks.
Yes, ERWin will have a menu option to generate your schema. Sorry I don't know the exact one, because I use ER/Studio. It's been several years since I've used ERWin. That will give you the option to connect to a server or generate the schema in a script. Selecting the connect to the server option will cause ERWin to execute the DDL directly against the SQL Server.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL Server gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in June 2001