One last item, keep in mind that once the DTS Package is developed it can be scheduled to execute on a regular...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
basis via a SQL Server Agent Job. For more information visit How to schedule a DTS package using the Schedule Package option (Enterprise Manager).
Although based on your question, DTS would be the ideal recommendation from my perspective; additional options are available which may address your needs:
- SQL Loader –- Oracle's ETL tool. For more information visit Oracle SQL*Loader FAQ.
- BCP (Bulk Copy) -– A SQL Server command line interface to export and import data that is the predecessor to DTS. For more information visit bcp utility.
- Replication from Oracle to SQL Server via a linked server with a pull subscription in SQL Server. For more information visit Programming Replication from Heterogeneous Data Sources.
- Alternate tools to mange replication between Oracle and SQL Server include OmniReplicator.
- Informatica is an alternate ETL tool with numerous scripting options.
If you find that DTS is one tool that will improve your productivity and help keep your weekends work free, to spend time with your family, then you may want to visit your local book store to invest in a good book or two to complement SQL Server Books Online. Stay tuned for expanded Yukon DTS information in the spring of 2004 in the form of a Yukon presentation series at www.edgewoodsolutions.com.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Greg Robidoux and Jeremy Kadlec are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, SQL Server, DB2, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.