Full text supports searching non-text files located in blob fields through the use of filters. When you use sp_fulltext_column...
you can specify then name of the column which contains the file type. In this column you specify the format of the file contained within the IMAGE columns (.doc, .xls, .ppt, .txt or .htm by default). Download the revised edition of Books Online from Microsoft and search for the "filtering supported file types" topic.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Tony Bain are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.