I am trying a transactional replication along with a pull subscription on the Internet. Both the SQL2000 servers...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
are connected through a dial-up connection. After creating the pull subscription from the remote server, the agent at the subscriber shows the following error: "The process could not connect to the distributor" I enabled the distributor to allow subscriptions to subscriber's IP address.
In the pull subscription wizard, if I use the subscriber's IP address to subscribe to a remote publisher, I am not able to start the SQL Server agent. The status of the SQL Server agent is unknown. If I use the local machine name, I am able to start the SQL Server agent. The status shows that it is running. Hence I use the subscriber's machine name at the subscriber, instead of subscriber's IP address. But the publisher is selected from the publishing server's IP address.
Could the above usage of machine names instead of IP address be a problem for pull subscriptions?
Open the Server network utility. Create an IP connection using the IP address of the machine you are trying to connect to. Give it a name that is equivalent to the machine name. Your connectivity problems should go away at that point.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.