I received the following error after trying to open a table in SQL 7 Enterprise Manager: Query Designer encountered...
a query error: Unspecified error
I eventually had to reboot to clear it. What causes this, and is a reboot necessary?
It's called software. If you are running on a Windows platform and using GUI tools, sooner or later, they will GPF. Yes, I know GPFs were eliminated with Windows 95. They're called page faults now. Yes, more than likely you will have to reboot. When you apply a service pack to your SQL Server, make sure you also apply that service pack to the client tools on your workstation. There were several fixes bundled in the service packs that were related to client tools. Also, Enterprise Manager makes HEAVY use of IE components. If you are like most people and are constantly upgrading your browser, you can blow up EM that way also.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL Server gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.