You can find the certification tracks Microsoft offers at http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/default.asp. I can't comment on jobs because not only is that a very personal decision, but it also has a wide variety of factors that go into it.
The one thing I do suggest for this industry as a whole: Get into IT because you enjoy working with people, computers and solving problems. Do NOT get into IT because someone hangs dollar signs in front of you.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.