Use the DATEDIFF function e.g.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
select datediff(mi,Date1, IsNull(Date2, Date1)) from Table1Here we also use the IsNull function to say give us the difference in minutes between Date1 and Date2 unless Date2 is Null in which case use Date1 (which will produce a difference of 0).
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Tony Bain are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.