Lock out all of your applications, take a full backup and ship it to another server. Shut down SQL Server and copy...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
the mdf, ndf, and ldf file(s) from another server. Install the drive space and reconfigure your arrays, copy the mdf, ndf, and ldf file(s) back to that machine and start SQL Server back up. If something goes wrong, that is what the backups are for.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough SQL Server questions from Michael Hotek are available here.
- The Best Microsoft SQL Server Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- The Best SQL Web Links
- Have a SQL Server tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL Server questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Microsoft SQL Server Installation
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.